Thursday, July 1, 2010

A Day to Remember!

This post is in honor of a very special woman, whom many of my childhood memories revolve around. Unfortnately, she lost her battle with cancer just a little over a year ago so her memory is with me now. When my kiddos asked me if we could bake cookies yesterday, (yes it was the hottest day of the summer) it quickly reminded me of all of the hours we spent cooking and tasting at Grandma Catherine's house. All three of the recipes that we used yesterday came from her kitchen.

For those of you that do not know who Grandma Catherine is let me tell you a little about her first. Her house was right across the street from my childhood home, so it was visited many times throughout the week especially during the summer, when my visits turned into daily if not hourly. You may ask why this ordinary lady across the street was so wonderful, well my bestie was her grand daughter. Each summer Hilary came to stay with grandma and you bet I counted down the days until she was out of school and would arrive. We did everything together and were always by each other's side. To make a long story short, she was the best thing of summer. Since I spent so much time with Hilary, Grandma Catherine became a huge part of my life. She was the most generous, loving, intelligent lady you would ever want to meet. At any given time her house was home to many neighborhood children and anyone else that dropped on by. Her door was ALWAYS swinging open and she had the BEST stocked freezer of snacks in town. Now mind you, these were not prepackaged sugar snacks, these were straight from her heart and due to many hours in the kitchen. She raised an amazing family of 5 children who have multipied into close to hundreds. Her family meant everything to her. They are all wonderful, intelligent, generous, talented people that would do anything for you and I am very proud to call them family.
Maybe the saying, The apple doesn't fall far from the tree! is true.

So here are the items my children made by themselves with just a bit of guidance from me, just like Grandma did with Hilary and I so many years ago.

First to start was Jaylen. He made Catherine's famous Monster Cookies. If you asked any person that grew up in Rutland back in the 80' s and 90's, they would remember these cookies. They were delicious. (Hilary I saved one just for you, tears to moisten it and all.)

Jaylen loves to bake and

and help me in the kitchen.

His favorite thing in the kitchen is to crack eggs and he is by far the best cracker I have.
Just look at the concentration on his face and

what is with that tongue? Jaylen does that really help?

"Mommy, can I please lick the spoon?" I hear from my helper. "Not until we are done mixing, then you will be able to lick it clean."

"Yes!!! I knew she would let me. This stuff is awesome! thanks Mom."

Don't his cookies look great!

We even made three truly MONSTER cookies. One for Daddy, one for Jerrin and Jay to share and one for Mommy and Gracie. John was not going to be home so he missed out.

Next the ingredients for Gracie's recipe for
Surprise Cupcakes! I love these things and was so excited to make them with Gracie Rae.

These are one of the best memories I have of Catherine. We ate many of these during the summer months, but I would visit her regularly during the school year too.

Although there was never a time that she did not have a stash in her freezer for us
to munch on together. I would often see Catherine when I would come home to visit mom and dad and I always was welcomed with a hug and an invitation to come get a cupcake.


Jerrin's choice was to make Puppy Chow.

He was not feeling the best so his time in the kitchen was pretty short, but we still had fun.

Another scrumptious recipe that everyone loves. Thanks Jerrin.

After a day in the kitchen it is time for a rest for the boys.

Thank you Grandma Catherine for everything you taught me about life, family, love, and baking. You will always hold a special place in my heart and I am proud to say that I, along with your family will keep your spirit burning while we teach our children what you have taught us.
Rest in Peace until we meet again!

No comments:

Post a Comment