Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Bittersweet Memories

It is such a shame that this amazing family only gets together once or twice a year now. Our lives are all on fast pace mode and seem to be flashing before our eyes. We have one scheduled meeting each year on Christmas Day, otherwise we see each other as an extended family only by chance or for funeral or weddings. This is so different than when we all were growing up and both our grandparents were alive.

My grandparents, Robert and Joyce Carlson, had 7 children; 4 girls and 3 boys.
(two boys have already passed away)
As these siblings moved out of the house and started families of their own, they all settled within 20 miles of each other, five of the seven lived right in their hometown and two lived no more than 20 miles away. This made it VERY easy to get together for birthdays, holidays, random picnics, and sporting events.
When they had their own kids it made it even easier for them to know each other and be the best of buds. Having our family so close was such a blessing. We took care of each other, cheered each other on, and always had a playmate when the summer days got long.
This original group has grown quite large adding on.....
13 grandchildren
12 great gandchildren
and....
2 more great grandbabies on the way
I love this family so much and have so many memories of each and every one of them, but there is one thing that drives me crazy about the group as a whole....they do not take picturesl. I wanted to get group photos of each family and a photo of all of us that were at my uncles funeral, but as you will see below, I only caught a few of them.
My Aunt Dorene's son Eric and his family.
I missed a photo of Dorene and her husband Jack and of her daughter Angie.
My Aunte Rosie (Rose Marie) and Uncle Wayne.
She has a daughter, Amy (who is in San Diego) and a son, Chris.
My family. This photo is very rare so I will cherish it!
Here is just a few of our family.
My brother Barry, his wife Jenny, and their kids, Gaven and Gabi.
My Uncle Ed and his two beautiful daughters, Corinne and Alysha. He also has a son, Ian who was not able to make it this time.
These little guys are only 3 months apart and really hit it off. I think they could be a
deadly duo someday.
Although, I think Bridger will keep Jaylen in line. Look at the priceless look on his face.
I wish I knew what was going on.
Gabi, Bridger, Jaylen
Here they are the next generation of Carlson blood. In this photo we were only missing two of the great grandchildren. I do have to brag a bit and say that the Carlson blood definitely produces some beautiful children.

2 comments:

  1. Nice Family Pictures Erin! Love your new haircut too! :) Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your bangs Erin!! Super cute!

    ReplyDelete